|Lecture (CSI 2120):||TuTh 12:30pm - 1:45pm. P. S. Krishnaprasad|
|Office Hours (AVW 2233):||M 4:00-6:00 pm; Tu 5:00-7:00 pm.|
(5) Homework set 7 is due at the latest by Monday April 13.
(4) Mid-term examination II will be held in class (closed book) on Thursday, April 16. All material covered until and on April 9 is fair game for questions.
(3) Homework Set 6 should be attempted as is. You have one week - till Thursday, April 2. The Sussmann-Willems paper can be obtained by clicking on one of the links at the bottom of this page.
(2) There is no required textbook for this course.
(1) All lecture notes are posted.
The Brachystochrone problem was originally set by Johann Bernoulli in June 1696. The paper of Hector J. Sussmann and Jan C. Willems in the IEEE Control Systems Magazine, June 1997, pp 32-44, celebrates this event as a beginning of optimal control theory.
Solution (based on calculus) of Queen Dido's problem by P. D. Lax from American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 102, No. 2, February 1995, pp. 158-159