Washington DC is not only the nation's capitol and home of the U.S. government, but also one of the most lively and culturally diverse cities in the country. Scores of museums, memorials, performance centers and galleries make it one of the most visited places in the country. The following links describe a few of the local attractions.
- Washington DC, the American Experience - The official tourism site for the city.
- Washington Post Online - Contains local and world news, local weather, entertainment guide, and restaurant reviews.
- DC Heritage Tourism Coalition - Provides plenty of tourism infomation, with emphasis on historical sites and tours
- DC Visitor Information Center - Visit information from the DC chamber of commerce
- Washingtonian Magazine - Among other things, this local magazine publishes a list of the 100 very best restaurants in Washington (as well as the 100 best bargain restaurants.)
- The Smithsonian Institution - The Smithsonian Institution operates several museums and galleries in the Washington DC area, including the National Air and Space Museum, the National Portrait Gallery, and the National Zoo. Check out this site to find out about the latest exhibits and features.
Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) is located about 11 miles (25 minutes) from the conference and hotel. The airport is also served by the Metrorail (subway.) Several local shuttle services also offer ground transportation to area hotels.
Dulles International Airport (IAD) is located in Virginia, about 25 miles (31 minutes) from the conference and hotel. Several shuttle services also offer less expensive transportation between Washington and Dulles.
Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) is located in Maryland, about 34 miles (36 minutes) from the conference and hotel. Airport shuttle services are available to carry passengers to the Washington area for about $30 each way.
Union Station is located in northeast Washington. In addition to local train service to Maryland and Virginia, Union Station is home of Washington's Amtrak rail station. The Amtrak system connects several east coast cities including Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore and Washington with several trains per day. The airport is also served by the Metrorail (subway.)
The Washington Metrorail system offers one of the easiest ways to get around the city. The "Medical Center/NIH" metro station on the red line is 1 mile from the hotel, and the hotel offers free shuttle service.
The hotel offers parking to guests and attendees at a rate of $12/day.