- Must be majoring in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering and completed at least two semesters at UMD and at least one semester in the ECE Department.
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Completed at least 60 credits (junior/senior status) or have served as a mentee in the program (preferred: students who have completed or are completing ENEE200 level courses).
- Be an actively involved student at UMD (i.e. involved in extracurricular activities).
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to dedicate at least 1-2 hours bi weekly to the ECE Peer Mentor Program.
Peer mentors strive to build a mentoring relationship with new students, serving as a support system throughout their first year. Our peer mentors provide insider knowledge about the department and college as well as share helpful resources to ensure academic and social success. Peer Mentors are matched at the beginning of the semester with at least one mentee with whom they will correspond with throughout the year. Each peer mentor selected for this program agrees to:
- Reach out to their mentee(s) once per week (i.e. via text, email, etc.)
- Meet face to face with assigned Peer Mentee(s) at least four times per semester (can be at ECE Peer Mentor Program organized events or other organized meetups).
- Attend at least 3 ECE Peer Mentor Program events per semester (should aim to attend with mentee)
- Participate in at least one Department-sponsored event (e.g. Back to School Night, Spring Open Houses).
- Be responsive to all ECE Peer Mentor Program emails and to Peer Mentee needs.
- Share personal experiences relevant to incoming first-year ECE students, answer questions and give advice in accordance with departmental and University policies.
Peer mentors are compensated each semester with a $200 stipend applied to their account at the end of the fall and spring semester for a total of $400 for the academic year.
How to Apply:
Peer Mentor Applications are available now and are due on July 1, 2020.
Mentor Leadership Team
Each academic year the ECE Peer Mentor Program staff will select four returning peer mentors to serve as student leaders on the Peer Mentor Leadership Team. Responsibilities of the leadership team include:
- Continue to serve as an ECE Peer Mentor.
- Work collaboratively with other three members of the leadership team.
- Meet with ECE Peer Mentor Program professional staff bi-weekly.
- Help select, match, and train new ECE Peer Mentor Program peer mentors and mentees.
- Brainstorm and coordinate ECE Peer Mentor Program events for mentors and mentees that are relevant and engaging.
- Assist with communication efforts internally and externally, serving as student ambassadors for the program.
- Network with Texas Instruments personnel and other ECE and UMD offices on campus.
- Help interpret student data and feedback to improve program for future cohorts.
Leadership Team Applications are available now and are due on/before June 1, 2020.
Student leaders will receive a stipend of $400 at the end of each semester for a total of $800 for the academic year.
How to Apply:
Current/acting peer mentors will receive an email from the ECE Peer Mentor Program staff encouraging them to apply towards the end of the spring semester. Mentors are encouraged to express interest throughout the year if they want to join the leadership team for the following year.