Prerequisite: Minimum grade of C- in ENEE381; and must have earned a minimum grade of regular (letter) C- in all required 200-level ENEE courses; and permission of ENGR-Electrical & Computer Engineering department.
Restriction: Must be in one of the following programs (Engineering: Computer; Engineering: Electrical) ; and permission of ENGR-Electrical & Computer Engineering department.An introduction to state of the art design, and testing techniques of RF and microwave devices. Designs, simulations and layout of different devices are performed using the software package ADS (Advance Design System). The course highlights wide range of engineering applications including terrestrial microwave links, satellite communications, broadcasting, mobile communications and radar.
Semesters OfferedFall 2017, Fall 2018
- Learn state of the art design, and testing techniques of RF and microwave devices.
- Designs, simulations and layout of different devices are performed using the software package ADS (Advance Design System) from Agilent.
- Transmission Media: Synthesis, analysis and physical realization of various types of transmission media including coaxial, micro-strip, coplanar, suspended substrate, multilayer structures and waveguides. Transmission line theory and the Smith Chart.
- Dispersion properties of different transmission media
- Microwave Network Analysis: Characterization of Microwave Networks using the scattering parameters. Hands on experience for measuring the scattering parameters of various two port devices using modern network analyzers.
- Microwave Passive devices design, simulation and measurements.
- RF chokes to bias microwave amplifiers, attenuators and impedance matching networks.
- Power Dividers and Directional couplers: Analysis, optimization and simulation of microwave power dividers and couplers: Parallel-coupled and branch line directional couplers.
- Microwave resonators for different transmission media.
- Microwave filters: Low-pass, high-pass and band-pass filters. Realizations in various transmission media, including lumped elements, distributed elements, parallel coupled lines, multilayer structures and waveguides.
- Multiplexers: Combining or separating multiple frequency channels.
- Active Microwave Circuits: Optimum design of input and output matching circuits for power amplifiers. Low noise figure amplifiers design.