Institute for Research in Electronics & Applied Physics
- Ph.D., Physics, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S., Physics, Carnegie Mellon University
- B.S., Physics, Carnegie Mellon University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers (IEEE)
Professor Melngailis' research interests are Focused Ion Beam (FIB) nanofabrication: devices, materials and process development, electrical contacts to nanofibers and nanotubes by FIB, beam-induced deposition and etching, and patterning of graphene.
Introduced and developed courses: ENEE 719A, "Nanostructure Fabrication"; ENEE 416 "Integrated Circuit Fabrication" (lecture and lab)
Other courses taught more than once: ENEE 600 "Solid State Electronics" (graduate core course); ENEE 313 "Semiconductor Device Physics"; ENEE 480 "Fundamentals of Solid State Electronics"
- I. Utke, P. Hoffmann, and J. Melngailis, (review article), "Gas assisted focused electron beam and ion beam processing and fabrication," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B26, 1198 (2008). (PDF)
- Abhishek Motayed, A. Davydov, S. N. Mohammad, J. Melngailis, "Experimental investigation of electron transport properties of gallium nitride nanowires," J. Appl. Phys. 104 , 024302 (2008). (PDF)
- Abhished Motayed, A. Davydov, M. Q. He, S. N. Mohammad, and J. Melngailis, "365 nm operation of n-nanowire/p-gallium nitride homojunction light emitting diodes," Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 , 183120 (2007). (PDF)
- J. D. Barry, M. Erwin, J. Molstad, A. Wickenden, T. Brintlinger, P. Hoffmann, and J. Melngailis, "Electron beam induced deposition of low resistivity platinum from Pt(PF3)4," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B24, 3165 (2006). (PDF)
- W. Jeon, T. Firestone, J. Rodgers, and J. Melngailis, "On-chip RF pulse power detector using FIB as a post-CMOS fabrication process," Electromagnetics 26 , 103 (2006). (PDF)
- Anthony De Marco, William Bandy, Sia Parsa, Henry Kaufman, and John Melngailis, "Writing the identity in RFID tags with focused ion beam implantation of transistor gates," J. Vacuum Sci. Technol. B23, 2811 (2005). (PDF)
- T. Brintlinger, M. S. Fuhrer, John Melngailis, T. Bret, I. Utke, P. Hoffmann, P. Doppelt, and M. Abourida, "Electrodes for carbon nanotube devices by focused electron beam induced deposition of gold," J. Vacuum Sci. Technol. B23, 3174 (2005). (PDF)
- Woochul Jeon, Todd M. Firestone, John C. Rodgers, and John Melngailis, "Design and fabrication of Schottky diode, on-chip RF power detector," Solid State Electron. 48, 2089 (2004). (PDF)
- Anthony J. De Marco and John Melngailis, "Maskless fabrication of JFETs via focused ion beams," Solid State Electron. 48, 1833 (2004). (PDF)
- Anthony De Marco and John Melngailis, "Lateral growth of focused ion beam d eposited platinum for stencil mask repair," J. Vacuum Sci. Technol. B17 , 3154 (1999).