Modern physical optics: Gaussian beams, optical resonators, optical waveguides; theory of laser oscillation, rate equations; common laser systems. Selected modern optoelectronic devices like detectors and modulators. Role of lasers and optoelectronics in modern technology.
Prerequisite: ENEE381; and completion of all lower-division technical courses in the EE curriculum.
Restriction: Must be in one of the following programs (Engineering: Computer; Engineering: Electrical).
Semesters OfferedSpring 2018, Spring 2019, Spring 2020
- Understand and describe light propagation through simple optical system
- Understand the properties of optical resonators
- Understand interaction of radiation and atomic systems
- Get familiar with theory of laser oscillation
- Acquire knowledge of operation principles and applications of different laser systems
- Rays and optical beams
- Optical resonators
- Interaction of radiation and atomic systems
- Theory of laser oscillation
- Common lasers and optical amplifiers
- Simple optoelectronic devices