Maryland Cybersecurity Center 3rd Annual Symposium
MC2’s third Annual Cybersecurity Symposium will showcase the latest research, trends, and topics in cybersecurity. It will also provide an opportunity to connect with colleagues across academia, industry, and the state and federal government.
The schedule includes:
- 8:15 – Breakfast
- 8:50 - Welcome: Jonathan Katz, Director, MC2
- 9-10 - Keynote speaker: Vern Paxson, Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences Department, University of California, Berkeley
- Vern Paxson holds joint appointments at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the International Computer Science Institute. Prof. Paxson’s research focuses on network-based attacks and defenses. He cofounded and served on the steering committees of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference, the ACM Workshop in Rapid Malcode, and the USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats. He has served as program chair or co-chair of ACM SIGCOMM, USENIX Security, IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, and ACM HotNets, and as an Area Director of the Internet Engineering Task Force. He has received the 2008 ACM Grace Murray Hopper Award for his work on Internet measurement, the IEEE Communications Society William R. Bennett Prize Paper award, and the USENIX Lifetime Achievement award. He is an ACM Fellow.
- 10-10:20 - Break
- 10:20-12:00 - Research talks by MC2 members
- Dave Levin - “Tune-in to Tune-out: Using FM Radio to Revoke Certificates"
- David Maimon - TBD
- Elaine Shi - "Practical Oblivious Computation"
- Martin Loeb - "Economic Aspects of Cybersecurity"
- David Van Horn - TBD
- 12:00-1:00 - Lunch + Student Poster Session
- 1:00-2:00 - Panel on Cybersecurity Education [tentative]
- 2-3:30 - Tutorials by MC2 members (parallel tracks)
- Tudor Dumitras - "Security Data Science"
- Jen Golbeck - "Usable Security and Privacy"
- 3:30-4:00 - Break
- 4:00-5:30 Tutorials by MC2 members (parallel tracks)
- Babis Papamanthou - "Integrity and Availability for Cloud-Based Storage"
- Rance Cleveland - "Model Checking for Security"
- 5:30 – 6:30 Networking Social in the Maryland Club
Registration is online. Registration includes breakfast, lunch, symposium materials and any talks, tutorials, workshops, and demos you choose to attend.
- Industry/Government/Faculty = $50
- Full-Time Student = No Charge
(Including Undergraduates, Graduates and Post-Doctoral Students)
– Must pre-register and show student ID at the time of registration. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for student discount code.
- Press (if covering event) = Free
Please make arrangements in advance with Tom Ventsias (email@example.com), UMIACS Communications Director.