- PhD in Computer Science (2011), Brown University
- MSc in Computer Science (2007), Brown University
- MSc in Computer Science (2005), University of Crete
BSc in Applied Informatics (2003), University of Macedonia
Charalampos (Babis) Papamanthou is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, where he also holds an affiliate position at UMIACS and he is a member of the Maryland Cybesecurity center (MC2). Before joining UMD, he was a postdoctoral researcher at UC Berkeley, working on the areas of applied cryptography and computer security---and especially on technologies, systems and theory for secure and private cloud computing. He obtained his PhD and MSc in Computer Science from Brown University in 2007 and 2011 respectively. While at Brown, he was the recipient of the Kanellakis and van Dam fellowships and he also interned at Intel Research (2008) and Microsoft Research (2010). Before graduate school, he studied in Greece at the University of Crete (MSc) and the University of Macedonia (BSc). He has published in venues and journals spanning theoretical and applied cryptography, systems and database security, graph algorithms and visualization and operations research.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2017
- NetApp Faculty Fellowship, 2016
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2015
- Yahoo! Faculty Research and Engagement Program Fellowship, 2015
- University of Maryland George Corcoran Award for Teaching, 2015
- University of Maryland Invention of the Year Award, 201
Emil Stefanov, Charalampos Papamanthou and Elaine Shi. Practical dynamic searchable encryption with small leakage. In Proc. Int. Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), San Diego CA, USA, 2014.
Elaine Shi, Emil Stefanov and Charalampos Papamanthou. Practical dynamic proofs of retrievability. In Proc. Int. ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Berlin, Germany, 2013.
- Charalampos Papamanthou, Elaine Shi, Roberto Tamassia, and Ke Yi. Streaming authenticated data structures. In Proc. Int. Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques (EUROCRYPT), Athens,Greece, 2013.
- Seny Kamara and Charalampos Papamanthou. Searching dynamic encrypted data in parallel. In Proc. Int. Financial Cryptography and Data Security Conference (FC), Okinawa, Japan, 2013.
- Charalampos Papamanthou, Elaine Shi, and Roberto Tamassia. Signatures of correct computation. In Proc. Int. Theory of Cryptography Conference (TCC), volume 7785 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), pages 222–242, Tokyo, Japan, 2013.
- Prateek Mittal, Charalampos Papamanthou, and Dawn Song. Preserving link privacy in social network-based systems. In Proc. Int. Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), San Diego CA, USA, 2013.
- Seny Kamara, Charalampos Papamanthou, and Tom Roeder. Dynamic searchable symmetric encryption. In Proc. Int. ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), pages 965–976, Raleigh NC, USA, 2012.
- Michael T. Goodrich, Duy Nguyen, Olga Ohrimenko, Charalampos Papamanthou, Roberto Tamassia, Nikos Triandopoulos, and Cristina Videira Lopes. Efﬁcient veriﬁcation of web-content searching through authenticated web crawlers. In Proc. Int. Conference Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), volume 5(10) of PVLDB, pages 920–931, Istanbul, Turkey, 2012.
- Charalampos Papamanthou, Roberto Tamassia, and Nikos Triandopoulos. Optimal veriﬁcation of operations on dynamic sets. In Proc. Int. Cryptology Conference (CRYPTO), volume 6841 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), pages 91–110, Santa Barbara CA, USA, 2011.